- Are you between 18 and 35 years old? *
- Are you a member or a representative of a youth-led organization, network or initiative?
- Have you undertaken initiatives at the community or policy level that foster social inclusion, intercultural dialogue, and promote peace?
- Do you want to contribute to a global conversation on intercultural understanding and exchange innovative experiences?
- Do you want to meet other youth leaders from all over the world and develop joint actions?
- Would you like to take part in discussions that will help shape the United Nations’ agenda with regards to relations among different cultures?
If yes, apply now for a chance to be selected for a fully funded participation to the Youth Event and 7th UNAOC Global Forum in Baku, hosted by the Government of Azerbaijan.
The Alliance of Civilizations is a United Nations political initiative of the Secretary-General. It was established in 2005 by former Secretary-General Kofi Annan, with the co-sponsorship of the Prime Ministers of Spain and Turkey.
The primary mission of the UNAOC is to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action aimed at improving cross-cultural understanding and cooperation among countries, peoples and communities. The Alliance develops its actions at both governmental and civil society levels. It also works to counter forces that fuel polarization and extremism. The UN Secretary-General has described it as a soft power tool for bridging divides and promoting understanding between countries or identity groups, all with a view toward preventing conflict and promoting social cohesion.
The Alliance is all at once a matchmaker, convener, and catalyst. At the heart of the Alliance’s operational work lies the notion of partnership. These partnerships with wide-ranging actors multiply and amplify the impact, relevance and anchorage of the Alliance’s work. Such partners include governments and international organizations; local authorities, cities; NGOs; foundations and philanthropists; media; corporations; religious leaders; academics and educators; citizens. UNAOC has four priority areas for action namely, Education, Youth, Media and Migration. UNAOC recognizes the critical role that programming and policy-making in these areas can play in reducing polarization and identity-based tensions and in helping to build bridges between communities.
The 7th UNAOC Global Forum will take place on April 26-27, 2016 in Baku, Azerbaijan. The Forum will explore the topic of Living Together in Inclusive Societies.
Up to 150 youth from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds with outstanding track records in intercultural dialogue and youth work will be selected as participants of the Youth Event and the 7th UNAOC Global Forum in Baku. The Youth Event, taking place on April 25, 2016 is conceived as a preparatory event to maximize and enrich youth’s experience of the Global Forum, a unique international level opportunity for the civic participation of young people. During the Forum, participants are exposed to key stakeholders and experts in areas of their interest, they have a stake in the discussions and they can network with their peers and a broader range of actors in the field of intercultural dialogue.
- December 7, 2015- January 17, 2016: Call for Applications to the Youth Event
- By February 15, 2016: Review and selection of participants
- By March 11, 2016: Issuance of letters of invitation and travel itineraries
- March-April 2016: Online consultations with youth participants
- April 24, 2016: Arrival of participants in Baku
- April 25, 2016: Youth Event
- April 26, 2016: First Day of the 7th UNAOC Global Forum
- April 27, 2016: Second / Final Day of the 7th UNAOC Global Forum
- April 27-28, 2016: Departure of participants
Language: The working language of the Youth Event is English.
Diversity: We are committed to ensuring diversity of age, region, gender, culture, ethnicity, socio-economic and religious/non-religious backgrounds. We are committed to ensuring equal access for youth participants with disabilities. All venues will be equipped with wheelchair access.
As an official policy, the organizers of the 7th UNAOC Global Forum do not require payment of any participation fee. All selected youth participants will have access to the Youth Event and Global Forum and will be provided with round-trip international ticket (economy class) to Baku; 4 days accommodation (in shared accommodation [double-rooms], with a participant from the same gender, from April 24 through April 28, A.M. hours). Meals and coffee breaks will be provided during the official program of the Youth Event and the 7th UNAOC Global Forum, as well as shuttles to/from the airport in Baku.
Continue the application here