CIVICUS is offering one learning exchange opportunity for an African based individual to be based and involved with activities at the UN in Geneva, Switzerland. This opportunity is sponsored by Irish Aid, focused on Strengthening the Voice of African Civil Society and human rights defenders in the international human rights system.
The opportunity is time based, starting on the 27th Feb 2017 – 27th May 2017
This opportunity serves to:
- Familiarise the candidate with the United Nations system and bring information pertaining to African civil society to the Human Rights Council (HRC), the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) process, and Special Procedures, (Special Rapporteurs and Working Groups are part of Special Procedures);
- Assist in the preparation of reports or statements and help to coordinate engagement during the 34th Session of the Human Rights Council, 27 February – 24 March, the 119th session of the Human Rights Committee, 6 – 29 March, and the 27th UPR session, 1 – 12 May; and
- Assist to organise side meetings for CIVICUS and partners with relevant officials from the OHCHR, particular Officers supporting the Special Rapporteurs, Governments with permanent missions in Geneva and NGO partners with permanent representatives in Geneva.
Who you are
You are passionate about Human Rights and dream of becoming the new voice in Africa. You see this as an opportunity to further your dream and the advancement of civil society and human rights, especially in Africa, an opportunity to understand the processes and get to know and meet the actors in these. You will act as a bridge between civil society actors in Africa and Special Procedures as well as other human rights mechanisms, gathering, preparing and presenting reports on human rights issues thus keeping information affecting the region on the horizon at the UN through key engagements.
You will be based in Geneva for the 3 months of this learning opportunity.
- Be part of the leading global alliance of civil society organisations and activists.
- Be part of a global, highly effective team, driven by civil society.
- Grow and be challenged by the dynamic responses to our ever-changing world.
- Global outlook with meaningful content and the passion and drive to make a change wherever you are.
Required qualifications and competencies:
- A degree in Human Rights, International Affairs or a related field;
- Experience of working with human rights community in one or more African countries and a thorough knowledge of regional human rights issues within Africa;
- Fluency in English is essential, French would be an advantage;
- Demonstrated professionalism, diplomatic skills and analytical diligence;
- Willingness to travel to Geneva for three months.
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Start date: 27 February 2017 – 27 March 2017
Remuneration: Accommodation in Geneva, round trip airfare and a stipend of €600 a month to cover living costs.
Duration: 3 months
To apply, please submit:
- A motivational letter;
- A detailed CV; and
- Contact details of three current references.
To firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th January 2017.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.
Join Diplomacy Opportunities Facebook group or follow @Diplomacyopp on twitter