UNESCO MGIEP Call For Lead Authors in PVE-Education (Fully Funded + Stipend) | Diplomacy Opportunities
Are you a young organiser, researcher, writer or change maker interested in the Prevention of Violent Extremism through Education (PVE-E)? UNESCO MGIEP just opened the Call for Lead Authors to work on a Youth-led Guide on Prevention of Violent Extremism through Education (YLG PVE-E).
UNESCO Mahatma Gandhi Institute for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) is developing the first Youth-Led guide to Preventing Violent Extremism through Education. To facilitate the development and publication of the Guide, we are opening a call for Lead Authors who will contribute to the writing, research, and content design of the publication.
Position title: Lead Author
Reports to: Coordinating Lead Author
Based at: Online with travel for the Author’s Workshop (date to be determined)
Duration: Four-month consultancy
- Develop, research, and write a chapter of the Youth-Led Guide to Preventing Violent Extremism, using personal expertise, case study submissions, and other relevant resources
- Develop the structure of the chapter and work with the Lead Coordinating Author to ensure submission fits within the larger project
- Analyze case studies/stories related to the chapter and include such material in a cohesive, creative manner
- Research relevant issues that arise during the planning, organization, and writing process Write the assigned chapter with clarity and accuracy
- Compile regular reports to submit to the Coordinating Lead Authors
- Propose social media and other outreach channels and strategy for the promotion/visibility of the guide and audience engagement
- Revise material based on the comments of Coordinating Lead Authors and other reviewers
Expected Output: High-quality chapter with accurate information and clear language delivered on time
Skills and Experience:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work with a team and maintain open communication with members based in different countries
- Strict adherence to deadlines
- Strong analytical, reporting, and writing abilities
- Strong social media skills
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and deliver a variety of tasks on time
- Excellent research skills
- Self-directed but open to work under the supervision and mentorship of the Lead Coordinating Author
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Minimum of 5 years relevant working experience (related to PVE, peacebuilding, youth empowerment)
- Up to 35 years old
- Availability to travel to the Author’s Workshop
- Stipend of $1,500 USD upon delivery of the final draft of the material
- Credit as Lead Author in all promotional material
- Travel and accommodation to a three-day Author’s Workshop
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit the following documents by email no later than April 7, 2017:
- Cover Letter: Highlight relevant experience and skills with examples
- Chapter Outline: Identify one of the following chapters that you would like to lead: i. What is Violent Extremism? ii. Education and Violent Extremism iii. Networks against Violent Extremism (technology, mentoring, family support, etc.) iv. Other (please, specify) Include a one-page outline of structure you would use in assembling the chapter, referencing research documents or other material as you like. Provide a brief (no more than one page) explanation of your approach and strategy to the chapter design.
- Alternate Chapter: If you would be interested in leading a different chapter, should your first choice not be available, please indicate your second choice. Please note this is optional and you should only select an Alternate if you are confident you could deliver.
- References: In your CV, include email addresses for two references familiar with your work. Please note that we will contact references of short-listed candidates. You are advised to notify your references that they may receive emails from the hiring team.
- + No more than two pages, should demonstrate research skills, critical thinking, and clarity in writing. Deadline is April 7, 2017 We thank all applicants, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Your application should be emailed to email@example.com. The subject of the email should read “Lead Author/PVE-E Guide.” Your documents should be saved as follows: FULL NAME/CV, FULL NAME/CoverLetter, FULL NAME/WritingSample, and so on for each document you are required to submit for the position.
Join Diplomacy Opportunities Facebook group here and follow @DiplomacyOpp on Twitter