The Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent provides the participants with an intensive learning opportunity to deepen their understanding of the United Nations human rights system, instruments and mechanisms, with a focus on issues of particular relevance to people of African descent. The Fellowship Programme will allow the participants to better contribute to the protection and promotion of civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of people of African descent in their respective countries.
In the framework of the Programme of Activities for the Implementation of the International Decade for People of African Descent, this year the Fellowship will be held from 13 November to 1 December 2017 in Geneva, Switzerland.
Who can apply?
- The candidate must be an individual of African descent living in the Diaspora.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 4 years of work experience related to the rights of People of African Descent.
- The candidate needs to have sufficient command of the English language to be able to participate fully in the programme.
- The candidate has to submit a letter from an organization working on issues related to People of African Descent or minority rights certifying their status.
- The candidates must be available to attend the full duration of the programme. The selected fellows will be expected to participate in different activities and to strictly follow the programme.
The selection of the fellows will reflect gender and regional balance. The human rights situation of People of African Descent in the respective countries will also be taken into consideration.
How to Apply?
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents in one single e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A completed, signed and scanned Application Form in one single document.
- A Personal Statement (maximum 500 words) in which the candidate will explain his/her motivation for applying, and how he/she will use the knowledge gained from the fellowship to promote the interests and rights of people of African descent.
- An Official Letter from the nominating organization or community certifying the status
- A copy of the applicant’s passport.
Deadline for Applications: 31 May 2017
Please note that submissions with more than five attachments will not be accepted..
Please note, that because of the volume of messages, applications will not be acknowledged. Only short-listed candidates will be notified..
Important: : Please mention in the subject header of your e-mail: “Application for the 2017 Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent.”
Name the attached document as follows:
LAST NAME First name – Type of document
Example: SMITH Jacqueline – Application form.doc
SMITH Jacqueline – A Personal Statement.doc
SMITH Jacqueline – Letter of Support.pdf
SMITH Jacqueline – Passport.pdf