Call For Applications: Young Women’s Leadership Programme (Paid) | Diplomacy Opportunities
Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development (APWLD) is inviting young women from its member organisations to apply for the South-South Placement: Young Women’s Leadership Programme. This is an exciting opportunity for young feminist leaders from the Asia Pacific region to work at APWLD Secretariat and be part of our work advancing women’s labour rights and global solidarity for Development Justice. It is a paid volunteer position with APWLD’s Labour programme.
The South-South placement is designed with the following objectives:
- Increase members’ knowledge, capacity and ownership around regional and international programme work.
- Increase Secretariat’s understanding of national contexts and grassroots movements.
- Build the pool of feminist leaders and experts from developing countries in the region.
Duration and Key Tasks of the Placement
The successful applicant will be hosted at APWLD Secretariat in Chiang Mai, Thailand for the period of six to ten months. She will work closely with Programme Committee members and Programme Officer with the following roles and responsibilities:
- Provide support in coordinating Feminist Participatory Action Research (FPAR) on labour rights.
- Provide assistance to Decent Work and Living wage campaign, including research assistance, communications outreach and producing campaign toolkits.
- Provide assistance to the design and execution of global strike campaign and strategy.
- Provide research assistance on other relevant advocacy opportunities related to the programme work.
- Assist with publication work in the Labour programme including research and editing
- Collaborate with APWLD’s Communications team to produce content from the Labour programme activities for members & public consumption such as op-Ed, blog post and interviews.
- Other tasks as required.
APWLD will cover the cost of a round trip airfare to/from Chiang Mai, and visa fee for the successful applicant. A small stipend (USD 800 per month, for six – ten months) will be provided to cover living, housing and other miscellaneous costs during the placement.
In case the volunteer and the member organisation endorsing the placement wish to extend the duration of their work at APWLD Secretariat, the additional costs may be shared by APWLD and the member organisation. The role and other detailed arrangements for the extended placement will be agreed between the two organisations.
The volunteer is expected to start her work in July 2017.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Completed Application Form
- Endorsement letter from APWLD member organisation
These documents are to be submitted with the subject line “Application for South-South Placement” to Ms. Suluck Fai Lamubol at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staff, advocate, volunteer, close affiliate or member of APWLD member organisations from developing countries in the Asia Pacific Region, and must be recommended by that organisation. (To check whether your organisation is a member of APWLD please refer to: http://apwld.org/about-apwld/our-members/).
- Young woman (below 35 years of age at the time of application) who has not held an executive position within the organisation.
- At least 2-5 years of experience in women’s movement at local or national level without significant exposure to international and regional level experiences.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding on women’s rights and development in Asia Pacific, with a focus on labour rights,
- Commitment and availability for the placement for a minimum six months period.
- Proficient in English, both oral and written.
- Proficient in ICT skills including social media.
- A written commitment or agreement with the recommending national organisation to work (as a paid staff or on voluntary basis) for a double period on her return (e.g. If the placement was for six months, return services should be for a year).
Applications should be received by Monday, 8th May 2017
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.