South Africa Media Innovation (SAMIP) is a 3-year long program that will provide capacity building and financing to independent media in South Africa. The aim of the program is to promote innovation within the media sector, and also foster new voices.
Winners will be selected by the SAMIP Advisory Panel, subject to approval by the MDIF Board of Directors. Cash Prize of up to ZAR 500,000 (*depending on budgets, we will consider smaller projects that apply)
Join Diplomacy Opportunities Facebook group here and follow @DiplomacyOpp on Twitter
In addition, winners will be admitted to SAMIP and benefit from capacity building:
- on-going strategic advice, (expert advice)
- tailored one-to-one consulting, (mentorship)
- targeted group training designed to help participants’ financial viability and audience reach (training)
- further funding, if approved by Advisory Panel, based on favourable initial results
- New projects just getting off the ground, for which the applicant has initial evidence of a user need.
- Specific and actionable ideas for a novel product or service – product or working demo doesn’t necessarily have to be built yet – funding can be used for MVP. (Capability requirement)
- Products or services that have shown initial success/viability, and applicants that are looking to scale up.
In addition to the above, a company or an organization must also meet the following criteria:
- Committed to providing credible, independent news, information or public debate.
- Independent from the government or of any other political or economic interest group.
- Supportive of democratic practices and institutions, political pluralism, transparency, human rights, including the rights of women and minorities.
- In regular operation for at least one year. A record of quality journalism and reporting. In compelling circumstances this requirement may be waived.
- Committed to developing a path to financial sustainability.
- Prepared to commit sufficient time to work with coaches/mentors and carry out assigned tasks.
HOW TO APPLY
The deadline for our initial funding cycle is midnight on October 31, 2017.
The winners will be announced at the end of November 2017.