Youth Stop AIDS Speaker Tour 2018 (Fully Funded to the UK) | Diplomacy Opportunities
Restless Development is looking for a young, passionate speaker from the Global South to join the 2018 annual Youth Stop AIDS Speaker Tour in the UK. In this voluntary role, you will tour the UK, to help bring to life the issues behind the HIV&AIDS pandemic by telling your personal story to young people and decision-makers, and inspiring them to take action. As well as telling your story at speaker events, the tour group will also take part in media interviews and support youth campaigning activities across the UK.
You will be in the UK for 3 weeks from approximately 7th February to 28th February 2018 (exact dates to be confirmed). You will have at least one full day off on each weekend. After arriving in the UK, you will attend a 3 day training to prepare you for the Tour, and will then travel to events across the UK (including England, Wales and Scotland) for the following 2.5 weeks.
- Travel to UK: Travel and visa costs (if needed) to and from the UK will be covered by Restless Development.
- Accommodation: Basic accommodation will be provided during the Speaker Tour which will be a mix of hostels and our volunteers providing their own accommodation for us. Sometimes this may require sleeping on sofas or the floor with sleeping bags/mats but we will try to make sure there are beds wherever possible.
- Travel in the UK: All travel within the UK will be covered. This will be a mix of trains, cars and other public transport.
- Travel insurance: You will be provided with travel insurance for the full time that you are in the UK.
- Food: Food will be provided during the team training, and a food allowance will be given throughout the 3 week Tour.
- Phone: You will be provided with a UK pay as you go sim card with £20 credit upon arrival in the UK to contact Speaker Tour team members and staff. You will need to pay for any phone use over and above this amount. Restless Development will ensure where possible there is access to Skype and internet during the Speaker Tour.
- Positive mental attitude
- Open minded and culturally aware
- Belief in the role of young people as activists
- Belief in the potential of Youth Stop AIDS
Skills and Experience
- Proven ability to engage, motivate and inspire others
- Ability to work as part of a team and to get on with others
- Excellent communication skills: an articulate and confident public speaker
- Experience of and commitment to grassroots HIV & AIDS activism
- Be an active member of a HIV network
- Excellent knowledge of national (i.e. from your country) and global issues around HIV and AIDS
- Good knowledge of key debates around access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support
- Be aged 18-30
- Speak fluent English
- Be personally affected by the HIV & AIDS epidemic
Restless Development is especially keen to have applications from:
- Young people living with HIV
- Young people from key affected populations, including sex workers, drug users, men who have sex with men and transgender.
After downloading and reading the Speaker Role Description, complete the Application Form and email it to James (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 13:00 (GMT) Wednesday 25th October 2017. Interviews will provisionally take place on 3rd November 2017 or the 6th November (via Skype/phone).
*If you are from the Global South but currently reside in the UK, you may apply for the UK Speaker role (please contact email@example.com for more info)
Visit the official Youth Stop AIDS Speaker Tour 2018 page here