Job: UN Women International Consultant for Gender and Preventing/Countering Violent Extremism (P/CVE) | Diplomacy Opportunities
UN Women has developed a global program (2016-2018) that lays out a 4-track approach to preventing violent extremism. As part of the program, UN Women is committed to investing in research to expand and deepen understanding of the drivers of extremist violence and its impact on women and girls; as well as how women can identify early warning signs of violent extremism and participate in prevention, response and rehabilitation efforts. Research is also needed to design more effective measures and narratives to prevent and counter violent extremism, and to identify potential partners and entry points for programmatic interventions.
UN Women ECARO is therefore seeking to hire an international consultant to help develop a 2-day pilot training package on gender responsive P/CVE, which will help facilitate a discussion on the effect of radicalisation and violent extremism on women and girls, and help participants develop concrete suggestions on how they can be more effectively engaged in prevention, response and rehabilitation efforts.
The training package should include modules on gender and P/CVE, and can include a mix of lectures, discussions, working groups, viewing of videos or other online materials and other presentations. It will benefit local authorities and representatives of civil society groups, and should be developed with the understanding that it will be used as a train the trainers (ToT) tool by UN Women in Central Asia and the Western Balkans.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Conduct a desk review of existing training tools on preventing and countering terrorism and violent extremism and the extent to which they integrate gender. Review UN Women reports on women and PVE in ECARO, as well as other similar reports developed by UN agencies, international organizations and academia. Identify gaps, and opportunities for synergies between UN Women, other international organizations (OSCE especially), NGOs and academia to increase capacities on gender responsive P/CVE and intergration.The consultant will be under the direct supervision of UN Women ECARO, and will be responsible for the following specific tasks:
2. Prepare a training package based on the desk findings, after approval of a preliminary outline.
The training package should have a handbook approach, using simple and direct language. It should include all materials that are needed to deliver the training – guidance for facilitators, visual aids/video links, examples of best practices (from ECARO or other regions), discussion themes for working groups, ice breakers, and a list of reference materials. More specifically the training package on gender responsive P/CVE should include:
- An introduction with the aims of the training guide;
- A list of basic definitions of terms being used;
- Module 1: on the normative basis for gender responsive P/CVE (ex: UNSCR 2242) at the global and national (Europe and Central Asia) level (with examples of national P/CVE Strategies and Action Plans, national legislation);
- Module 2: early warning signs of radicalization and violent extremism;
- Module 3: impacts of violent extremism and P/CVE on women and women’s groups;
- Module 4: impacts of the return/reintegration of violent extremists on women and women’s groups.
Each module should include:
- The aims of the module and expected learning outcomes for the participants;
- Notes for trainers;
- Powerpoint slides;
- Participatory activities and exercises.
The Consultant will spend approximately 35 days total preparing the training/discussion tool. Due to limited availability of time and resources, it will not be possible to do field work but interviews with UN Women staff and counterparts may be organized virtually. If the consultant wishes to hold such interviews he/she should prepare a list of interview subjects in the first 5 days of his/her consultancy.
Desk review report that identifies which training/capacity development materials exist, which focus on women in P/CVE, and identifies the gaps and opportunities for UN Women ECARO to intervene in this field.
Estimated Duration : 10 Days
Training/discussion tool and final report for UN Women with recommendations on how to best roll out a capacity building program.
Estimated Duration: 25 days
Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Professionalism : Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and respect for diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Additionally, the individual should have an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals in line with agreed strategies, identifies priorities, foresees risks and makes allowances accordingly.
Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Teamwork: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Accountability : Takes ownership of all responsibilities and delivers outputs in accordance with agreed time, cost and quality standards.
- Substantial expertise in preventing/combating violent extremism research and practice;
- Good knowledge of gender equality and women’s rights issues;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Strong report writing skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of UN system and familiarity with inter-governmental processes an advantage.
Application Deadline : 10-Nov-17 (Midnight New York, USA)
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree in social sciences, gender studies, public administration, international relations, international law, public policy, or a field relevant to the TOR requirements. PhD preferred.
- 5 years of experience in the international development/security fields.
- 5 years experience working on preventing and combatting violent extremism
- Experience is from the UN system both at the country/regional and HQ levels is highly desirable.
- Experience in preparation of analytical reports and project proposals for international organisations
- Specific experience in the field of gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Experience within the Western Balkans and Central Asia is a clear advantage.
- Experience/knowledge related to training manual development.
- Fluency in English (written and oral).
The following documents should be submitted as part of the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials:
- Cover letter to include a brief overview about which of your previous experiences makes you the most suitable candidate for the advertised position.
- Examples of previous relevant work including web links, references or copies of written work on women and violent extremism.
- Methodological outline including the proposed methodology for collecting evidence and scope of research.
- Financial Proposal (Specifying a total lump sum amount in USD for the tasks specified in this Terms of Reference). The financial proposal shall include a breakdown of this lump sum amount (daily rate and number of anticipated working days, travel tickets, per diems and any other possible costs) .Please note that the financial proposal is all-inclusive and shall take into account various expenses incurred by the consultant/contractor during the contract period (e.g. fee, health insurance, vaccination and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services.
- P11 and CV including past experience in similar assignments; can be downloaded at http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment, a signed copy should be submitted.
- Candidates should have the ability to quickly submit degree certificates and medical certification (of good health) should they be short-listed in consideration of the consultancy post.