The British Council, LIFT and Battersea Arts Centre have an opportunity for two West African artists currently living and working in Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal or Sierra Leone to join the New International Voices residency programme in London from 11-24 June, part of LIFT 2018.
The programme, created by LIFT and BAC will support a new generation of international artists who are in the early stages of their professional practice. Applicants must be aged between 18-35 (by 31 December 2018) working in theatre, dance, live art, spoken word and performance.
Based at Battersea Arts Centre, the residency is a chance for individual West African artists to test out new ideas, to challenge the way they work, and create new international networks. Through a communal living environment, artists will have opportunities to share, reflect and develop practice with peers. They will also be part of an exciting LIFT festival programme and can attend a number of the performances.
The residency will take place from the 11th – 24th June 2018. Artists will receive a range of support for their residency, including:
- A small stipend of approximately £1,500 (inclusive of travel expenses, visa costs and per diems)
- International travel provided for by the British Council
- 2 weeks communal accommodation in the artist bedrooms at Battersea Arts Centre
- Access to communal self-catering facilities and a supply of basic food stuffs
- Access to two weeks of rehearsal space at the Battersea Arts Centre
- A creative dialogue with Battersea Arts Centre and LIFT producers about the development of new ideas
- Attendance to LIFT’s Weekender
- Complimentary tickets to performances at LIFT 2018
- The chance to connect and network with International performance-makers
Applications will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- A national of any West Africa country living and working in Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal or Sierra Leone (unfortunately we cannot accept applications from companies or collectives)
- Between the ages of 18-35 by 31 December 2018
- A strong working methodology
- Experience in creating devised performance
- Experience of sharing work in progress
- A willingness to share their practice and experience with the project film-maker
- An ongoing practice of investigation and collaboration
- The benefit that might be derived from being involved in this project
- A strong project idea that you would like to explore during the residency
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a CV, a covering letter of no more than 2 sides of A4 expressing why you wish to participate in the project and a scanned copy of your international passport by the 26th January 2018. The CV and covering letter should demonstrate a strong working methodology and articulate the benefits that might be derived from undertaking the residency. If possible please include a maximum of 3 video links to your work.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, copying in LIFT on email@example.com
The deadline for applications is 6pm on 26 January 2018.
Please download this New International Voices 2018 Call out PDF for full details of the New International Voices residency, applicant requirements and application information.