The European Commission is inviting young people from around the world to play an active role in this year’s EDD. We are looking for 15 extraordinary young people aged 21-26 who can represent the powerful impact that youth are having in the development field. The Young Leaders Programme will consist of a 10-day visit to Brussels, where Young Leaders will meet EU experts, stakeholders and play a leading role in the EDD Programme, which will include speaking in various session alongside global leaders.
The 15 selected Young Leaders will be invited to Brussels, Belgium, and all expenses (Visa, travel, accommodation) will be covered by the European Commission. Debate with global development leaders, actors and stakeholders. As a Young Leader, you will be invited to come to EDD 2018 in Brussels, to speak in the Auditorium panel discussions of the forum, along with key political leaders. You will have the opportunity to present your story and challenging ideas to the audience, and to engage with key global actors, including governments and international organisations delegations. Each Auditorium panel addresses one of the EDD 2018 topics. You will be chosen to speak on one of these topics.
You must, therefore, apply to be considered under at least one of the topics: you can choose up to 3 topics, and according to your expertise and experience, you might be considered for one of them. In addition to speaking in the forum’s highest-level debates, you will have the opportunity to participate in other sessions to help shape the development policies and practices of the 2030 Agenda. The Young Leaders Programme lasts for 10 days in total: prior and during the forum, you will have the opportunity to visit the European Union institutions, meet relevant development policy-makers, participate in inspiring workshops and present practices from your region.
- Applicants must be between 21 and 26 at the time of the forum.
- Applications are open to young adults from all around the world, without restriction of nationality.
- Applications must be submitted in one of the following official European Commission languages: English / French / Spanish. The candidate must be able to speak clearly and comprehensively in one of these languages, as well as have a mandatory intermediate level of English.
- Applicants must be able to travel to and participate in EDD 2018 in Brussels (Belgium).
How to apply
Applications will close on 2 March, 2018.
To complete the form, you must select at least one EDD topic that you wish to speak about. You must feel comfortable and knowledgeable about the topics of your choice and they must relate closely to your interests and expertise. Please explore the EDD 2017 topics in the ‘About EDD 2018’ page of the website.
Evaluation criteria We will evaluate your application based on three criteria:
- 40% Your knowledge of your chosen topic and the relevance of your active engagement. We encourage candidates to show how their activities have had an impact on the community.
- 30% Your role as a representative of an organisation, other youth or community, and your leadership experience or potential.
- 30% Your public speaking skills and ability to speak at a high-level panel.
Read more on European Development Days Young Leaders website