Purpose of the position:
To develop and implement the communications and fundraising strategies for TrustAfrica’s programs. The communications and fundraising officer will increase TrustAfrica’s social media presence and build online and other communication platforms to increase TrustAfrica’s visibility. He/She will showcase the impact of TrustAfrica’s programs to existing and potential donors.
Working under the supervision of the Executive Director and in close collaboration with the senior management, the Communications and Fundraising Officer will fulfil the below functions:
- Develop and implement TrustAfrica’s communications strategy, setting out aims and activities to reach key audiences and advance its distinct brand;
- Work closely with the program staff to formulate impact stories for publishing;
- Guide all communications, ensuring they support TrustAfrica’s strategy to define and enhance its brand;
- Manage content production across all channels (our website, social media, print) including editorial, photography and video;
- Produce and distribute the annual reports and newsletters for TrustAfrica;
- With the support from the IT officer and external service providers, ensure that design on all channels and platforms is unique, impactful and enhances our brand;
- Design and produce communications materials for our convenings, conferences and knowledge products;
- Ensure media monitoring and advise on strategies to respond to media opportunities;
- Proactively develop and pitch media engagement opportunities in consultation with TrustAfrica programs.
- Write media releases and op-eds and distribute (or place) them in key media outlets/channels.
- Develop and manage TrustAfrica’s fundraising strategy in alignment with the global strategy;
- Maintain established funding partnerships with current donors, and use existing networks to build relationships with new donors, and encourage longterm commitment and giving;
- Support fundraising activities, including managing TrustAfrica’s individual giving platform and e-newsletter;
- Provide comprehensive research and data gathering for new fundraising initiatives;
- Contribute new ideas for fundraising and partnerships that ensures brand recognition at the local and global levels; ensure our brand is identified with our programmes and is prominent on all platforms and marketing materials;
- Develop and maintain a partnerships management database to keep track of submitted grant applications, deadlines, and outcomes.
- Oversee and manage the allocated budget in order to set out clear priorities and timelines, scope of work and planning of resources to satisfy the objectives for the communications and fundraising initiatives ;
- Effectively manage resources and ensure cost saving initiatives are implemented.
- Any other relevant duties as assigned by the Executve Director.
CompetenciesEfficiency – Take a well ordered and methodical approach to tasks to achieve planned outcomes
Results Focus –Maintain a strong focus on results, driving tasks and projects to completion
Creativity – Come up with new ideas and original solutions to move things forward
Relationship Building – Take steps to build effective relationships and contacts
Planning & Organisation – Set clear priorities, objectives and work allocations, tracking progress against plans and taking appropriate action to ensure targets are met
Interested candidates should submit the following application materials in English: a cover letter, a detailed CV describing your professional experience, and full contact information for three references. Only complete applications will be considered. Applications can be submitted to: HR@trustafrica.org. Please include your telephone number and Skype address in your cover letter and indicate the job title in the subject of your email.
Deadline: May 15th 2018
Post-graduate degree in Communications, Public Relations, or a related field
Experience: 5 – 7 years
- Extensive experience in writing, copyediting and proofreading in a public relations, journalism or communications capacity.
- Experience in media relations and a track record in securing media coverage.
- Experience in content management and digital communications including: developing and implementing online strategies and maintaining websites.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and flexibly, as well as cooperatively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to organise work, manage time, determine priorities and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to social and economic justice in Africa, and to TrustAfrica’s vision, mission, and values.
- Takes individual and collective leadership responsibility
- Acquires relevant skills and seeks empowerment of self and others
- Strives for excellence, professionalism and high performance
- Acknowledges and embraces diversity
- Recognizes that our region is dynamic and ever changing
- Uses our privileged financial position effectively.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
TrustAfrica is an equal opportunity employer.