The Ministry of Youth and Sports launches the call for applications for the appointment of Youth Delegates to the United Nations 2018-2019. Activities will include:
- Direct involvement of young people in the development of international youth policies;
- Promoting young people’s youth policies, their coordination mechanisms and the importance of youth programs as an integral part of socio-economic development;
- Familiarizing young people in Romania with the topic of global development and facilitating their contribution to the process of solving the problems related to this field;
- Supporting Youth Activities and Initiatives in Romania.
THE YOUTH DELEGATE PROFILE
- Young person with relevant experience in the field of youth activities, preferably at least 3 years;
- Have participated in national and international youth projects (conferences, forums, seminars, volunteer activities, etc.);
- Interest in developing knowledge about international relations and United Nations mechanisms;
- Proficiency in relationship, negotiation, teamwork, and ability to meet the established tasks on time;
- Advanced English skills (writing, reading, expression); knowing the other official languages at the UN is an advantage;
THE ROLE OF YOUTH DELEGATES IN THE UNITED NATIONS
It ensures the representation of the interests of Romanian young people at the two sessions: the UN General Assembly and the Committee for Social Development. Where appropriate, the two youth delegates may also participate in other UN-led actions during their term of office.
Organizes and participates in projects in accordance with national and international youth priorities and the priorities of their mandate.
Keep in touch with the Ministry of Youth and Sports and make quarterly reports on their work within the Program and submit them to the Ministry of Youth and Sport. These reports should illustrate actions to inform, promote and implement the Youth Delegate Program at the United Nations,
Support speeches during the two sessions, and the preparation of speeches and official positions is the responsibility of the Youth Delegates; the final version will be endorsed by the Ministry of Youth and Sports and will be subject to subsequent amendment with the consent of the MTS.
After the end of the mandate, participants in the United Nations Youth Delegation Program must remain active in the following areas:
- Developing the Program in Romania by involving in the implementation and promotion of activities under the Program,
- Developing youth policies at national level,
- Involvement in UN-specific initiatives and international relations.
Who Can Apply?
- Young people, Romanian citizens who are aged between 18 and 25 at the time of applying;
- The term “Youth Delegate to the United Nations” is the time from the time of nomination of the Delegates to the appointment of the next Delegates ;
- During the term of office, Youth Delegations to the United Nations can not be absent from the country for long periods (scholarships, internships, professional employment);
- Candidates to the competition must have been active in Romania for the past 6 months (at least) before submitting their application for the 2018-2019 Program ;
SELECTION OF CANDIDATES
Selection is a transparent and democratic process. The selection of Youth Delegates also contributes to representatives of state institutions and civil society.
The selection process is open to all Romanian citizens aged 18-25 at the time of application and has three stages:
- Submission of applications
Applicants will submit the application file from July 20 to August 5, 2018
10 appraisals, 5 female and 5 male candidates will be selected for a face-to-face interview with members of the selection committee, in accordance with the principle of gender equality.
- The final debate
Following interviews, 4 candidates are selected: 2 female and 2 male. They take part in the final debate, selecting a girl and a boy who obtain the status of Youth Delegates at the United Nations for the 2018-2019 session.
Candidates qualified to the interview sample have the obligation to continue the selection procedure until the end of the interview.
Candidates selected for interviews and final debates have the obligation to be present in the contest room . There are no alternative forms of participation in the selection (skype, video, etc.).
THE CANDIDATE FILE
It will include:
- the registration form available on mts.ro ;
- a candidate’s CV, written in Romanian , in the Europass model;
- an essay of up to 1000 words in English (font: Times New Roman, size 12, spacing 1.5) with the theme:
- a recent recommendation letter (from 2018) from a hierarchical superior or university professor – signed, stamped (where required), scanned, and encompassing the signatory’s contact details for identification.
These documents will be sent in one email – with the archived attachment – to firstname.lastname@example.org , with the mention of Youth Delegate to the UN.
All candidates will receive a confirmation email.
After August 5, 2018, 23:59 – Romania time, no application submitted is considered valid.
Failure to complete a component and / or non-compliance with the above conditions will result in disqualification of the applicant.
The selection committee will evaluate the applications received, marking them from 1 to 5 (1 means “lowest” and 5 “best”) according to the following criteria: active presence in the civic environment, international experience, good knowledge of the problem UN, good knowledge and interest in youth issues, clarity and fairness in expression, coherence of argumentation, fluency in foreign language, motivation, pragmatism in problem identification and proposed solutions, originality of the essay.
Plagiarism leads to the removal of the candidate from the contest
CALENDAR OF THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
July 20 – August 5, 2018 – submission of applications at email@example.com . Last day of submission of candidatures – August 5, 2018, 23.59 hours – Romania time
5 – 12 August 2018 – Appraisal of candidates
August 13, 2018, 12.30 pm – showing the results
13 – 14 August 2018 – submission of appeals
August 17, 2018 – Display results of appeals and final list of admitted candidates
21-22 August 2018 – interview and final debate, appointment of Youth Delegates 2018-2019
THE YOUTH DELEGATED PROGRAM IN THE UNITED NATIONS 2018 – 2019 MEETS THE PARTICIPATION AT THE SESSION IN SEPTEMBER OR OCTOBER 2018 – THE GENERAL MEETING OF THE UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION AND THE FEBRUARY SESSION 2019 – THE SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE.
PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS ARE 1 CHILD AND A BABY AGE OF 18 AND 25 YEARS OLD.
FOR YOUTH DELEGATIONS THE INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORT EXPENDITURE AND ACCOMMODATION AT ROMANIA’S PERMANENT MISSION TO THE UNITED NATIONS FOR THE TWO SESSIONS WILL BE SUPPORTED.
OTHER EXPENSES (VISA TAX, MEDICAL INSURANCE, MEETING EXPENSES FOR THE TWO DELEGATED) SHALL BE SUPPORTED BY THEM FROM OTHER FINANCING SOURCES.
THE MINISTRY OF YOUTH AND SPORTS DOES NOT COVER THE TRANSPORT FROM / TO BUCHAREST OF THE CANDIDATES FROM OTHER CITIES ADDRESSED TO SELECTION.
THE SELECTION WAS AT THE MINISTRY OF YOUTH AND SPORTS, VASILE STRADA CONTA NR.16, SECTOR 2, BUCHAREST.
ALL DETAILS OF THE CANDIDATES WITH REGARD TO THE HOUR, THE COMPETITION ROOM WILL BE ADVISED AT ALL TIME BY ALL CANDIDATES BY TELEPHONE OR E-MAIL.
Read more on Romania Youth Delegate to the United Nations website