2019 International Young Women Mediation Forum (Fully Funded To Kenya) | Diplomacy Opportunities
The International Young Women Mediation Forum will bring together 23 young female mediators from Africa and Europe. Participants will include members of different women mediators’ networks such as FemWise-Africa, Women Mediators across the Commonwealth (WMC), and the Mediterranean Women Mediators Network (MWMN). The Forum aims to tackle the lack of representation of young women in mediation processes. Between 1992 and 2011, women globally only made up 2% of chief mediator, 4% of witnesses and signatories, and 9% of negotiators (UN Women 2012). 1 Where women are involved in peace agreements, they are often very accomplished individuals, including former heads of state such as Liberia’s former president Ellen Johnson Sirleaf or Uganda’s former vice president Dr Specioza Kazibwe.
Opportunities for young female mediators remain limited. Women’s participation in mediation has been shown to strengthen the legitimacy of peace processes and their implementation (The Hague Institute for Global Justice 2016). 2 In line with UNSCR2250 and 2419 on youth, peace and security as well as UNSCR 1325 on women, peace and security, the Forum aims to strengthen the role of young women in peace processes. Led by female mediation experts, the participants will be able to learn from one another, gain further insight into the field of mediation through practical scenarios, and develop strategies to tackle the challenges faced by young female mediators.
The objectives of the forum include:
- To provide a platform for participants to share and learn from one another in a professional environment and with support from female mediation experts.
- To develop strategies to tackle the challenges faced by young women in mediation and thereby address the lack of representation of young women in the field of mediation.
- To gain further insight into the field of mediation through participation in practical mediation scenarios and case studies and thereby address the intergenerational gap in mediation.
To get more, join Diplomacy Opportunities Facebook Group, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram
- Applicants must be female.
- Applicants should be between the age of 18-35.
- Applicants should have engaged in peace processes in one or more ways indicated in the application form (No.8).
- Applicants should be fluent in at least English or French.
- Applicants must have a demonstrable plan for how to utilize the skills, knowledge and learning gained from the Forum.
- Applicants should demonstrate ability to work in multicultural groups, and be respectful of diversity.
- Successful candidates must hold valid travel documents (passport and yellow fever card) prior to acceptance.
- Complete application form.
- A cover letter detailing your motivation and reason for interest in the Forum. Please outline your work on mediation.
- Recent curriculum vitae.
Please send the signed form and the required documents to Audrey Adhiambo using
the email address: email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for Application: Midnight on 9 th December 2018 (GMT+3)