United Nations ECA Fellowship for Young African Professionals 2019
The United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) hereby invites competent young African Professionals to apply for the “2019 ECA Fellowships for Young African Professionals” programme.
ECA is the regional arm of the United Nations in Africa. Its mandate is to promote the economic and social development of Africa. ECA’s dual role as a regional arm of the UN, and a part of the regional institutional landscape in Africa, positions it well to make unique contributions to member States’ efforts to address their development challenges. Its strength derives from its role as the only UN agency mandated to operate at the regional and sub-regional levels to harness resources and bring them to bear on Africa’s priorities.
ECA seeks to engage bright young Africans for skills development through the “Fellowship for Young African Professionals” programme. Available vacancies fall within the following thematic areas:
- Knowledge Management, Information Management or Library Sciences;
- Evaluation framework in support of SDGs Voluntary National Reviews;
- Human Resource Management in Public Institutions
To get more, join Diplomacy Opportunities Facebook Group, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram
Duties and Responsibilities
Assignments within the areas of focus may include, but are not limited to, collecting, evaluating, interpreting, and analyzing economic, social and political development issues in the focus areas. The fellow(s) will also contribute to technical and policy reports, briefing notes, and support in the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, workshops, and seminars; and fulfill various other administrative tasks for the effective delivery of the activities.
Conditions and Logistics
The UN regulations on temporary positions and the following conditions will apply:
- Candidate must be a national of a United Nations Economic Commission for Africa member State with either a Master’s Degree or doctorate degree;
- Fellows must be available to travel to the assigned station by 1 March 2019;
- Should have interest in one or more of the identified thematic areas;
- Selected candidates will work on a predefined project, designed to contribute to specific aspects of the work programme of the mentoring Division, Sub-Regional Office or ECA Centres, and contribute to other activities;
- Participate in national, regional or international meetings as assigned for exposure;
- Submit a peer reviewed research paper at the end of the assignment;
- Be part of an alumni association of ECA Fellows and member of practicing international development “community of practice”.
- Candidate will receive a one-off settling-in grant of USD 3,000 and a monthly stipend of USD 3,000 for the duration of the fellowship
- The fellow(s) shall be fluent in oral and written English or French. Working knowledge of the other is also desirable.
- Effective and efficient planning and organizing
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills
How to apply:
To apply, candidates must, in addition to their applications, submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- UN Personal History Form, P11. This can be created at https://www.uneca.org/sites/default/files/uploaded-documents/p11.doc
- Copy of academic certificates
- Copy of applicant’s national passport (information page only), and;
- Three letters of reference/recommendation
Qualified women and young scholars are particularly encouraged to apply. All submissions should be sent to RecruitmentPPost@un.org with the subject line ECA Fellowship for Young African Professionals, Ref. No. HRS29-05-05-03
Application Deadline: January 27, 2019